Gauteng - Tshwane
Tshwane Travel Directory
The Tshwane Metropolitan and Metsweding areas are based north of Johannesburg in South Africa. Centuries ago Europeans first put their roots down on South Africa's coastline. The native people of Africa lived in the productive valleys of this area.
After the Europeans, came the Nguni-speaking pioneers from central Africa. They were called maTebele (refugees) by resident Sotho. They called themselves 'Swazi' and 'Zulu', and adopted the name of Ndebele.
Today, Tshwane, which was previously called Northern Gauteng, is dominated by the fast-growing city of Pretoria, South Africa's administrative capital, and its many suburbs. Its city centre is a treasure of stately buildings.
Activities to do in Tshwane region
There are many activities and attractions in this region to keep visitors happy.
- The Union buildings with its rolling lawns has housed four governments and is high on the 'must visit' list.
- A cultural route centred around Church Square and Church Street makes a very interesting walk.
- 6km south of the city is the impressive Voortrekker Monument towering above its surrounds, another must for those interested in the country's turbulent history.
- Rietvlei Nature Reserve which features amongst others the Big Five.
- Wonderboom Nature Reserve, famed for its 1 000-year-old Wonderboom (wonder tree).
The neighbouring Metsweding region offers vast stretches of Highveld bush. The Highfield bush features game and nature reserves, and a considerable amount of conservancies.
Here you can be entertained with hot air ballooning, horse riding, hiking and walking, mountain biking, game viewing and bird watching, all in a rustic setting.
Accommodation in the Tshwane region
A wide range of accommodation is available in Tshwane Metropolitan and Metsweding, including guest houses, self-catering units, bed and breakfasts as well as hotels. Please view our accommodation directory for more information.
Businesses in Tshwane
The region of Tshwane Metropolitan and Metsweding businesses are thriving. Please view our business directory for more information.
Tshwane offers a variety of restaurants to suit every taste.